Taking the opportunity of the new year, Joon and her family would like to express their gratitude to the following organizations and individuals who contributed to the web campaign to help Joon find a matching donor.
Donor registration – events – drives
- Family and friends who registered as stem cell donors and also inspired others around them to register (among them, Marjolaine, Tu, Tom, Nathalie, Sylvie, Julian…)
- DKMS Germany, Rabea and Sabine, and their colleagues in DKMS UK, USA and Poland for launching an amazing and very professional campaign simultaneously in these countries, establishing a dedicated registration page for Joon and for organizing donor registry drives.
- Asian American Donor Program, Carol and her team for featuring Joon’s story on their site and organizing several donor drives among the Asian communities in California.
- Actress Minh-Khai Phan-Thi, gymnast Marcel Nguyen and the German Gymnastics Association, together with DKMS, for appealing to people to join the stem cell donors’ register. Using their personal Facebook page, this effort led to thousands of online registrations.
- DVF – Deutsch-Vietnamesischer Freundeskreis e.V. for organizing a donor registry event for Joon in Germany, in collaboration with DKMS
- Associations who spread awareness of the need for bone marrow donors within ethnic minority groups, such as Asian for Miracle Marrow Matches (A3M) and Cheekswab.
- French associations for relaying Joon’s story: Association Capucine, Association Laurette Fugain, Cent Pour Sang la Vie, Ensemble Avec Benoit, France Moelle Espoir, Tom Pouce Pousse la Moelle.
- L’Association Suisse-Romande des Gréffés de la Moelle Osseuse.
- The vietnamese community in France and Switzerland : Union Générale des Vietnamiens de France et Union des Etudiants Vietnamiens en France (UEVF), Association Générale des Étudiants Vietnamiens de Paris (AGEVP) Centre culturel du Viet Nam à Paris, Ambassade du Viet Nam à Paris, Mission permanente du Viet Nam auprès de l’ONU à Genève, Association des vietnamiens en Suisse romande.
- Colleagues and Staff Association of UNDP Hanoi for their support to reach out the medical community in Vietnam.
- Vietnamese press: Kim for the articles in Sai Gon Tiep Thi Newspaper, which generated great interest in Viet Nam and hundreds of comments on the blog. Also VTV4, Que Huong, Vietnamnet, Tuoi Tre Online, Gia dinh.
- Radio Frontier (Switzerland)
Team Joon Blog – Facebook – Twitter – Flyers – email – online fora
- The Knowledge and Innovation Team of UNDP in Bratislava who gave advice for the blog, designed graphics, promoted the blog via social media and helped for the drafting of content: Giulio, Blythe, Jura, Justyna.
- For the initial setup and content drafting of the blog to launch the search for a donor: Marjolaine, Thibaut & Veronique, Agnes B, François.
- For the Facebook page setup, Saveria and Blythe.
- For the translations of the blog in 9 languages… : Kathleen, Thibaut, Dominique, Cécile, Narjess, Oumama, Trang, Tu, Lucy, François, Veronique L, Jeehae and their family/friends.
- For the preparation and design of flyers: Nathalie and her friends.
- For spreading the word through distribution of flyers, email, online forums, Twitter, Facebook: Charlie, Agnes DLT, Pierre & Véronique, Sylvie, Laurianne and her father Siegfried, Savéria, Candice, Kathleen, Veronique HG, Nathalie, Martial, Thibaut.
A special thanks to:
- Marjolaine for taking care of the overall coordination of the web campaign and for reaching out to many organizations.
- Tu for the countless translations and for mobilizing the vietnamese community in Geneva and Paris.
And of course, the identification of the donor was made possible thanks to the Hopitaux Universitaires de Genève and the Swiss Blood Stem Cells who did coordinate the search worldwide.
Finally, there is also one person whom we should thank above all, we do not know her name, but she is the one who first registered as a donor, and went through the entire process to donate her stem cells for Joon. Wherever she is, our heartfelt gratitude goes to her.